Hopkins County Genealogical Society was founded in 1981 and members established a small library in a side room at the Sulphur Springs Public Library. Both the society membership and the genealogical collection expanded quickly and soon outgrew the space available at the public library. Glynn Lowe and the Sulphur Springs Loan and Building Association offered a two-room office space in a building adjoining the L&B. The City of Sulphur Springs allowed HCGS to move the genealogical collection to the new site and listed the books as on permanent loan to the society.
In September 1994 City National Bank acquired a 2700 square foot building at 212 Main Street on a foreclosure and offered the building for sale to HCGS for a more permanent library space. Funds were raised by a pledge and memorial contribution campaign as well as through a major county records inventory project. Eighteen volunteers worked over a seven-month period to complete an inventory of eleven county offices and prepare records retention schedules. The society earned $8,700 from the Hopkins County Commissioners Court to complete the project. The society had a five-year note to complete payment on the building. A ribbon cutting ceremony was held December 13, 1994 for the new home in the Starr-Pate Building constructed around 1898.
In 1998 the society received a generous gift of $50,000 from the estate of Wilbur Myers. The money was designated as building fund money in the event the library needed to expand. In 2001 the building adjoining the library at 210 Main Street became available and was purchased. A major renovation of the two buildings was undertaken that year. The new building was designated the Wilbur Myers Archives and now houses a collection of early court house record books that were donated by various offices such as justices of the peace, tax assessor, and county clerk. In addition there are many original church record books, photographs, society and civic club records, and many other records.